Thursday, May 14, 2009

Life in Williamsburg: Alberto

His name is Alberto. Probably around 4o years old...maybe less than that, many people in this neighborhood seem to age prematurely. He works at the laundromat down the street that I go to. I had seen him there twice in the spring, and each time he was very welcoming and had a big smile on his face. Once I was there with Lucas, and they spoke in Spanish with each other...I was impressed by Lucas' hidden talent, but more importantly admired his ability to speak with this man in his native language...it is such a beautiful sign of respect, one that Alberto probably rarely receives from hipsters in our neighborhood...

Upon my return I had laundry to do and had hoped to see Alberto, but alas he was not there. I realized that having a regular laundromat I went to, and knowing one of the workers, by face at least, helped provide me with a sense of community. Ever since coming back, each time I walk past, I look inside to see if he is working. I have seen him several times and each time we have made eye contact and waved. It always feels like a nice gift, like somebody here knows me and is acknowledging my presence...I have only come to understand the importance of this after living in such a big city where you pass thousands of people each day without the slightest form of a "hello."

Tonight as I walked home from the gym, I thought to myself, "If that man is working tonight I am going to go inside and thank him." So I peaked inside and there was his smiling face... You should know, his smile is not conventionally beautiful. He has probably never worn braces or had much dental work, but it is the kind of smile that makes his whole face glow...I walked right in and said, "Hi, we see each other all of the time, and I just wanted to know what your name is?"

He was surprised, but pleased I think, "Alberto. And what is your name?"

"My name is Mitch." I then continued to pour out a very poorly articulated "thank you for existing" speech, which sounded something like, "my family lives in California, and I've been trying to make it out here, back and forth all year, and I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate that you are always smiling, you really make me feel at home here..." blah blah blah...it was one of those cathartic moments, where you just let the dam go and see what happens...He just kept smiling, said a "thank you" and asked if I lived in the neighborhood.

I told him I lived just down the street. And we both suggested the other have a good night...

I am amazed by this man. I don't really know anything about him, but I can assume he has a family and probably doesn't see himself changing jobs any time soon. A relatively simple life, folding clothes as Spanish soap operas play on the crappy TV up in the corner...I just needed to let him know that I know he exists....and I am thankful for his smile...

1 comment:

My name is Greg Washburn said...

chronic, i like this, can't wait to meet him