Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Storm Clears; or Beginner's Luck...

blurry eyed, I greeted the morning...tense, but determined...like a soldier preparing for an anticipated battle, with slightly lower consequences...I ran to the gym for a quick triceps workout, knowing time was precious...

On the way back I stopped by the home of my spirit's kryptonite: The United States Postal Office...My struggles to maintain peace in these houses of torture have been epic...I approached this one with a renewed sense of resilience...this was very necessary as there was a line of 20 people, moving at about a pace of 5 minutes per customer...my mind weighed options...to wait what could be over an hour for the needed cell phone charger (i had been without a cell phone for 48 hours) or get out of there and start selling quickly, waiting until Monday to pick up the package...I stayed in line....I didn't need the cell phone, but thought it would be better to have it than not...a feeling of hope and faith that I made the right decision to stay in line helped, along with the iPod, to calm my soul and even to start semi-dancing...smiling as much as I could and then Aha!!!! A second worker came to help...Universe you've done it again! A lesson in patience paid off big time, my mood shifted and I practically skipped out of there...about as optimistic as a broke man can be...

I readied myself for a day on the street, and walked out the front door with my sign...down the street I saw a girl throwing up in a garbage can, and a man behind her patting her on the back...my fear of vomiting forbade me from getting too close, but as I passed, the man shouted, "What's on your sign, man?" I flipped up my large patriotic, semi-phallic poster and received a hearty laugh and words of encouragement...his love prompted my love, "I hope you feel better darlin'."

As I walked through the subway tunnels I was making affirmations and "secreting" making a profit of $250 on the day...choosing it...I set up like not a day had passed since I stopped selling...Put the sign on my back and turned around practically running into my first buyer who purchased a single Obama for five dollars without me saying a word. Within another minute a woman bought a set...fear leaked from my body about as quickly as the air leaving an air mattress when you pull the plug. I had made fifteen dollars in two minutes...

Within two hours I was cold and had restocked once...I was moving through product more quickly than I could have dreamed...a lunch break at the Marriott to warm up and count cash...this was the place I always used in the fall to stay warm or rest a while or phone a friend ( I had several great conversations with Jaysen there)...nice restrooms and no one ever bothered me...I counted $472 dollars. I started with $101 for change. I made rent.

Excitement filled my body and I even considered calling it a day...I called my dad to tell him the good news...eating another of my delicious sandwiches I felt free and easy again...miraculously the demand was still as high as when I left, and I had not been hassled by the police...all tension gone, I sat on the ground feeling like a king...the secret was working...

I went back out, and it had gotten colder...more clouds and more cops, I was almost deterred, but hung it out for another hour and a half...I made a total net profit of $352 dollars...an exact average of 100 dollars an hour...

I went back to Ben's house to celebrate with a glass of Scotch and to pick up more product...My body mind and spirit were flying...I was beginning to think I was going to pull this off...Even now as I try to reflect on that feeling, it escapes me...such release, all of the sudden everything in the world was possible again...I was as powerful as I thought I might be...any anxiety gone. just peace and love pervading my every step...I think I was nearly dancing home...

No comments: