Sunday, September 19, 2010

This Magic Moment

...and then sometimes IT happens. That magic moment on the train that has you thanking every deity mankind has ever worshiped for public transportation...The overwhelming, multi-sensory experience where you knowfeel, with every ounce of your being, you are EXACTLY where you are supposed to be...

Cue Synchronicity in NYC...

I noticed her as I sat down next to Greg on the G train, and I was pretty sure he saw her too...she is not the kind of girl that walks into a public place unnoticed, beautiful curly hair, long with a light blonde streak just catching the eye...her energy was warm and light...she had a subtle smile on her face, carried purple calla lillies, and bobbed her head to the music playing on her ipod...

I enjoyed her presence, and was feeling high...I smiled and made eye contact, she smiled back and quickly looked away...flash of blood in the veins, just that moment was enough to send the body into 2nd gear...my mind and body so closely tied, my mind wondered if we would meet eyes again, hoped we would...I looked back down at my book and glanced back to see if she would return my gaze...she wouldn't, but her head bobbing grew to a point of near head-dancing, probably a beat dropping...

...I looked back again and she was writing in a journal...cool, i dig that...feeling good, curious, and bold...I'm gonna do it...

flip to the back of my book and there is a blank page, I pull out my only a pen, a pink highlighter, and write my message large enough to read from across the aisle.

WHO ARE YOU?

...As I flash my makeshift sign at her, she holds up a piece of paper, cocks her head to the side with a smile that says she is holding the answer to my question...

and the body kicks it up a notch, breath a bit shorter, blood pressure rises...excitement, giddy like a child, with a major confidence boost, all of the sudden I can do no wrong...she hands me the note, it reads:


Haley
(phone number)
(address)


come to a

party tonight

at my place

love your hair.



...feeling high and mighty, any self-conscious doubts have vanished...quickly I scribble down a response, hardly legible I am sure, totally disconnected thoughts of appreciation and excitement...I look up and she is about to get off on the next stop, I hand her the note unfinished and after she reads it, hands me one of her flowers...

amazing.

frozen a bit, stunned...I pause taking in this moment, looking around me - the faces - realizing that many of these people just watched this exchange unfold...

"Wow." this is how I start my monologue to the train...then continued to ramble on about how amazing New York City is, that this kind of thing can only happen in a city like this...I thank everyone in the vicinity for being a part of the experience, I am telling them how beautiful they are, that we are creating a vortex of positive energy right here...

smiles appear everywhere, I am making eye contact with many, and folks are returning my smile...I am not being treated like a crazy person, in fact people seem to be enchanted by my words...more reflecting out loud about how beautiful it is to be through with a work week on a friday evening, each of us with the whole weekend ahead full of who knows what kind of magic...

then the singing starts...for my first tune, an improvised love song, delivered mostly to the woman sitting next to me who was very excited by the whole ordeal...you could tell she was the kind of woman who loved love, watched strictly romantic comedies and dabbled in romance novels...

I was prompted to continue my lover's soliloquy as people laughed and enjoyed my outburst, one woman said good bye as she left, Greg told her we loved her, and she said she loved us too...I moved on to the classic song, "Cheek to Cheek"

Greg joined me as we sang our hearts out to the urbanites on our train, our temporary tribe...spreading the good vibes we laughed and got more and more lost in the fun we were having, the zen lunatics in heaven looking down upon us and smiling and laughing too...I supposed..

Exit the train, "We should all do this again next week, seriously...let's all get on this same train next friday, this is great!" And back to the singing..."Heaven, I'm in heaven...and my heart beats so, that I can hardly speak..."

the train passes, it's noisy departure making it hard for me to hear my own beautiful melody, but as it quiets I hear more music ahead and search for the source...Greg stands near two old hippies sitting with a banjo and drum...and singing the very same chorus...

Hallelujah! I hoot and holler, coming right up to these guys to sing the last words with them..."And I seem to find the happiness I seek, when we're out together dancing cheek to cheek!" ...Greg and I dance and sing in utter amazement and gratitude...now THAT is real...

the flow of events leading to that moment, the natural high and feeling of all the pieces being in place, leading to the catharsis of singing an old Irving Berlin tune with hippies on the subway platform...that, in my reality, is perfect...I cannot ask for more than that...

and yet, I do...because that moment has passed, it exists now only as a memory...perhaps in another universe it plays over and over, but here and now, in this life I am in a new moment...sitting on the couch again in Brooklyn recalling my joy, sharing it with you...

7 comments:

LarryDarnellPenn said...

"heaven...i'm in heaven"..with your blog, your life, your goodness. Thanks for being connected to right and innocence.

Unknown said...

that was beautiful. i've never read your blog before but now i'm going to start! i wanna hear what happens next! you really do have an amazing ability with words and i think it stems from having an amazing soul.

dsghinkle said...

Mitch- Your blogs are amazingly fun to read. I miss that since of humor and happiness you bring to everyone. I am so glad you are able to enjoy life to the fullest.

boogiedoo said...

you have a great ability to take the reader into those delicious moments. life is full of coincidences and the ones that seem magical-most always are. My question is do you follow up after these meetings to see where they can take you? or are you just a guy out there feeding into your ego? sometimes life leads you to people and i was just wondering if you ever take life up on what its showing you? the meeting on the train seems like the stars aligned the both of you and brought strangers together in a beautiful, harmonic lifeforce-and at these moments its when we feel most alive. whats happened since? any follow up? your readers are dying to know...dont just be that guy sucking up all these magic moments and tossing them to the ground-its like your rubber the electricity stops. keep it flowing. dont be scared take a leap!??!? if you can

Kelly said...

... in my universe this plays over and over...

Unknown said...

It's so sad to think that I live in a place where there are not many people like you.
Kind and respectful.
I admire your capacity to marvel at things, to still be able to feel amazed, pleased and at peace with the world.
I'm young and I'm afraid of not being able to find other people who feel like this. I can't seem to connect with others because I believe in values that aren't respected anymore. and they call me childish and immature.

I wish you would write more. I read everything you write.

Sprinkles said...

Randomly happened upon reading this.
And I am so glad I did.

Found my way here via your "surprise store" video.

Because truthfully, you never really know, what surprises are in store.
<3